This recipe for Forecast's Advanced Analytics covers how to create a custom report that allows users to view the total planned capacity over time and get a quick overview for resource management purposes. Once all of the formulas on the data points provided are edited correctly the report will show the planned capacity overtime of the resources for the given time period.
Skill level: Proficient
Plan required: Forecast Lite/ Pro/ Plus plan + Advanced Analytics
- Permission required: Designer
- Data required: time registrations on tasks and projects (billable), hours registered on internal allocations and time off allocations (non-billable), and remaining capacity from the schedule people page.
- Filters needed: 30 days filter
- Time needed: 15 minutes
Creating the report in Advanced Analytics
- In Advanced Analytics, use '+' to create a new Dashboard.
- In 'New Dashboard / Please select a Data Source' to connect to, select 'Forecast DataModel', enter a name for your report in 'Title', and click 'Create.'
- In your new dashboard, click on '+ Select Data' to add fields for 'Dates', and set it to Weeks, for categories and 'Person Plan Billable Minutes', 'Total Person Plan Non-Billable Minutes', and 'Person Working Time Minutes' for values.
- These fields are the starting ones that are necessary to be selected. To reflect the data correctly it is necessary to edit the formulas of the three data points being used in this report. To edit the formulas click on Edit Widget.
- In the value fields click on the Edit Formulas (pencil icon).
- For the Person plan billable minutes formula simply add "divided by 60 (/60)" to the existing formula to make the report appear in hours and name the formula Billable Hours.
- For the Total Person Plan Non-Billable Minutes formula add "+[Total Person Plan Internal Minutes])" and then divide it by 60 (/60) to turn the minutes into hours. Additionally, to make it easier to understand you may wish to name the formula Non-Billable Hours as this is what the formula reflects.
- For the Person Working Time Minutes formula simply add "-[Total Person Plan Billable Minutes]-[Total Person Plan Non-Billable Minutes]- [Total Person Time Off Minutes]-[Total Person Plan Internal Minutes])" and then divide it by 60 (/60) to turn the minutes into hours. Make sure to name the formula Remaining Capacity as that's what it reflects.
- In the Visualization settings, select the 'Column Chart' chart type icon to adjust the report display to a column chart.
- At the bottom, click 'Create'.
- If you would like to see the report display for a certain period of time, you will need to add a date filter.
- On the right side of your screen, click the '+' icon above 'Filter Your Dashboard.' The '+' will change to blue when you hover over it.
- In the 'Add Filter' window, enter 'Date' on the top line 'Type to search for fields'. This returns all possible options for date filters.
- Scroll to the bottom of the returned list and select 'Date' under the heading 'Time Registration'.
- At the top, click on the caret next to 'Years' to expand the dropdown. Here we will select 'Calendar', as we wish to report on only the last 30 days, however, you can set this to any time period you desire, and then click 'OK'.