This recipe for Forecast's Advanced Analytics covers how to create a custom report that will allow users to view the total planned capacity and get a quick overview for resource management purposes. Once all of the formulas on the data points provided are edited correctly the report will show the remaining capacity of the resources for the given time period.
Skill level: Proficient
Plan required: Forecast Lite/ Pro/ Plus plan + Advanced Analytics
- Data required: time registrations on tasks and projects (billable), hours registered on internal allocations and time off allocations (non-billable), and remaining capacity from the schedule people page.
- Time needed: 15 minutes
Creating the report in Advanced Analytics
- In Advanced Analytics, use '+' to create a new Dashboard.
- In 'New Dashboard / Please select a Data Source' to connect to, select 'Forecast DataModel', enter a name for your report in 'Title', and click 'Create.'
- In your new dashboard, click on '+ Select Data' to add fields for 'Person Plan Billable Minutes', 'Person Plan Non-Billable Minutes', and 'Person Working Time Minutes'.
- To reflect the data correctly it is necessary to edit the formulas of the three data points being used in this report. To edit the formulas click on Edit Widget.
- In the value fields click on the Edit Formulas (pencil icon).
- For the Person plan billable minutes formula simply add "divided by 60 (/60)" to the existing formula to make the report appear in hours.
- For the Person Plan Non-Billable Minutes formula add "+[Total Person Plan Internal Minutes])/60" after the "sum([Total Person Plan Non- Billable Minutes]".
- For the Person Working Time Minutes formula add "- [Total Person Plan Billable Minutes]- [Total Person Plan Billable Minutes] - [Total Person Time Off Minutes] - [Total Person Plan Internal Minutes])/60" after the "sum([Total Person Working Time Minutes]".
- In the Visualization settings, select the 'Pie Chart' chart type icon to adjust the report display to a pie chart.
- At the bottom, click 'Create'.
- If you would like to see the report display for a certain period of time, you will need to add a date filter.
- On the right side of your screen, click the '+' icon above 'Filter Your Dashboard.' The '+' will change to blue when you hover over it.
- In the 'Add Filter' window, enter 'Date' on the top line 'Type to search for fields'. This returns all possible options for date filters.
- Scroll to the bottom of the returned list and select 'Date' under the heading 'Time Registration'.
- At the top, click on the caret next to 'Years' to expand the dropdown. Here we will select 'Months', however, you can set this to any time period you desire, and then click 'OK'.
- In the next window, you can select specific time periods for the date filter by ticking/unticking the boxes corresponding to the desired years or you can Include All by leaving the boxes for all months/years ticked. As we are interested only in the current year's projects we will click the box next to 'Months' to deselect all, then click the boxes next to the months for the year 2022 and then click 'OK'.
- An additional filter for 'Quarter' can be created by clicking the '+' next to 'Filter' in the top right corner.
- Once your filter/s have been created, you can adjust the displayed data to view for a specific month/s by clicking the month/year in 'Months in Date' or quarter in 'Quarter in Date' in the filters.
- You can edit the widget to add data labels, by clicking the three-dot mention in the second menu ribbon and then clicking the box next to 'Values' and then clicking 'Apply'.
Article is closed for comments.