All Timelines provides an all-encompassing overview of your project pipeline. It is an interactive Gantt chart that allows you to view your all of projects, phases, allocations, tasks and team members for the coming days/weeks/months in a single place. While All Timelines is similar to People Schedule, it is designed for managing projects while People Schedule is designed for managing resources. To learn more about the Resource Heatmap (People Schedule) instead, see Reviewing your resource heatmap (People Schedule).
This article covers
Overview of All Timelines
All Timelines allows you to view and manage all of the projects across your portfolio. It includes all projects, connected projects, phases, tasks, team members, and placeholders, if using Capacity Planning. All Timelines displays your entire portfolio and project pipeline giving a clear view of your past, current and future projects and can be used to review projects, assigned work, and demand from a single location.
- The left side panel lists all of your projects. Expand a selected project, or expand all projects to see tasks and phases, project team members and any placeholders, if applicable.
- Scroll across the schedule to view projects' timelines by quarter, month, week, or day.
- Zoom in adjust your view and hone in on a specific time period or zoom out to view an extended period of time such as a calendar month or quarter.
- If your company opts to enable the inclusion of weekends at the user level, use the Eye to show/hide weekend days. To read more about the company weekend settings, see Configuring your Company Account Details.
- Task dependencies can be created and viewed using the dependency chain icon. This is helpful when reviewing tasks that may be dependent upon each other or when such tasks might need to be moved to future dates or reschedule for a time when resources are available to complete the work assigned in the tasks.
- Share a copy of All Timelines with internal or external stakeholders.
- Filter to reduce the schedule as desired. All Timelines can be filtered by Projects, People or Tasks resulting in a customized view of projects and their schedules.
- Toggle on Use win probability to adjust the timeline to display Opportunity stage projects based on their assigned win chance. Win probability is only available to clients using the resource management setting, Allocate people to projects. Win probability will not be an available toggle for clients using the resource management setting, Assign people to tasks. To learn more about the different resource management settings, see Selecting your resource management strategy.
- Use Exclude allocations to adjust the heatmap display of the timeline for your project team members. Choose to exclude hard or soft allocations depending on your needs. Exclude allocations is only available for clients using the resource management setting, Allocate people to projects. To see more about this setting see, Allocating people to projects.
Using All Timelines to manage your projects
All Timelines provides a high level overview of your projects, their phases, tasks and team members. All Timelines shows all of your projects in a single place, making it easy to review, analyze or adjust project tasks, team members, assigned work and allocated project time across your current and upcoming project pipeline. Projects, tasks, team members and allocations can be adjusted on the fly or during review to make the most of your team and to ensure your project's are completed on time and on schedule.
- Expand a project from the left side panel then click into the schedule and hold, drag and release to create new tasks or phases.
- To create a phase, select Phase at the top then assign the phase to a project, define it's date range, give it name and click Create.
- Similarly, to create a new task, select Task at the top, then complete the fields below to assign the task to a project and phase, define the start and end date, add an estimate and assign a role.
- Update phase dates by clicking on the phase in the schedule, holding and dragging to the new dates. Moving phase dates will update all tasks within the phase based on their current duration and placement within the phase date range.
- Just as you can move phases, you can also move tasks using drag/drop to update the task's start and end dates.
- Right click a task to access the options menu. Here you add task indicators to mark as bug, high priority, or blocked, duplicate the task, move the task to another project or delete it.
- Click on the task in the side panel or within the timeline to open the task modal. Update any task details, add an assignee, description or comment as needed.
- Expand Project Team to view the project team members and any existing allocations to identify which resources may be available to be assigned to the task.