Struggling with getting a big picture of your project plan after scoping and planning your tasks? With Forecast's Project Timeline it is possible to review and schedule the work for individual projects within a Gantt chart. Here it is possible to assign tasks based on individuals availability, determine the resources needed to complete the work, and plan the order in which the tasks should be completed.
For advice and best practices on how to use Gantt charts, see How to Make a Gantt Chart - A Complete Tutorial.
This article covers:
Viewing your Timeline
Once the project has been scoped and tasks have been planned, all the scheduled work and the people involved will be visible in the project Timeline.
The Gantt chart is then divided into three main areas within the left sidebar which can be collapsed or expanded to view more data:
Customising your Timeline view
- Heatmap in hours or percentages: Display the utilization of your team members on the heatmap in either percentages or hours by selecting one of these options from the dropdown menu.
- Show/Hide: Show/hide option allows to show or hide weekends in the timeline.
- Today button & change chart dates: Change the date by scrolling with the arrows to move forward and backwards in time. Click on the Today button to bring you back to today's date.
- Zoom in/out function: Zoom in and out with the + and - buttons to display your chart with day-by-day, week-by-week or month-by-month views.
- Search & filter: The search bar allows you to quickly find a task/ phase that you wish to locate on the timeline calendars, while with the filter function it is possible to apply a number of filters to narrow the view down to specific details.
Managing the project on the Timeline
Within the timeline it is possible to manage directly the project tasks and phases dates and reassign without having to switch between tabs.
Managing a task or phase' start and end dates
Simply drag an entire phase, along with its task or single tasks within the calendar, in order to quickly and effortlessly change the start and end dates.
Create new tasks and/or phase
it is possible to create new tasks under a particular phase by simply dragging the mouse cursor across the dates you want the task to be placed. Once you do that a pop up will appear that will allow you to name the task, choose if you wish to create a task or a phase.
Create dependencies between tasks
Viewing the project team's allocations
Under the Project team section it is possible to review the current allocations for the individuals that are part of the project. The overview will look differently based on if the account setting is set to Task allocation or Project Allocation. See Selecting your resource management strategy for more information.
Task allocation view
If the account resource management setting is set to task allocation, the project team view will display the allocations to show if individuals are fully, partially or over allocated, together with any planned time off tracked in Forecast.
Project allocation view