The integration with GitLab lets you sync your work between chosen projects in GitLab and Forecast. Users, tasks, workflow, status, estimates, phases, and assigned people are kept up-to-date no matter where you work. The integration both works with Gitlab Cloud and Server.
This article covers:
- Overview of the Gitlab integration
- Setting up the Gitlab integration
- Syncing user profiles
- Syncing GitLab projects with Forecast Projects
Overview of the Gitlab integration
- You can link GitLab users and Forecast. However, you need to create the users manually in each system.
- Issue / Task status is synced between both systems. Changing a status in GitLab is reflected in Forecast, and vice versa.
- Description on tasks / issues is reflected in both Forecast and GitLab.
- Phases are reflected in both. Moving tasks between phases is also synchronized.
- New tasks / issues are synchronized.
- Assigning people to tasks / issues is synced.
- Time estimates on tasks / issues are synced. When estimating from GitLab, the high and low estimate in Forecast will be set as the same. When estimating from Forecast, the forecast estimate based on your high and low, and our algorithm, will be sent to GitLab.
This should help you manage everything from both, and avoiding doing double the work.
Setting up the Gitlab integration
- From the Integrations tab in your Admin panel go to GitLab.
- Click Activate.
- Sign in, accept and authorize the connection
- Now you should automatically return to Forecast.
Syncing user profiles
- Head over to your profile or the team member's profile you wish to sync with GitLab (if you have admin rights).
- Scroll down to the bottom until you come across the section that reads GitLab.com
- In the search bar type and search for your own or your team members GitLab registered name and click on it.
- Click on Link to link the two accounts so either you or your team member are synced successfully with GitLab.
Syncing GitLab projects with Forecast Projects
Once all of the team members that are going to be using GitLab are synced successfully you are set to start using the integration with your Forecast projects.
- Go to a project you wish to connect.
- Go to Project Settings.
- Click on the Integrations tab and find the GitLab section
- Find the project you wish to sync from the dropdown menu
- Click Sync GitLab Project. Now your issues should be visible in Workflow within a few seconds.