Connect developers and issues with the GitLab integration and effortlessly sync the software development process. The GitLab for Forecast integration allows users to manage everything from a single place and avoid duplicate work while keeping users, tasks, workflow, estimates, phases, and assigned team members up-to-date. Link Gitlab users to Forecast to enable the two-way sync. Once enabled, the integration will automatically update issues, task status and descriptions, milestones, task assignees, and time registrations between systems.
This article covers:
- Overview of the Gitlab integration
- Setting up the Gitlab integration
- Syncing user profiles
- Syncing GitLab projects with Forecast Projects
Overview of the Gitlab integration
The Gitlab for Forecast integration gives the ability to the user to link multiple aspects of both platforms with each other. Specifically, a user will be able to link GitLab users with Forecast users, and issues/tasks status' will also be synced between both systems. Furthermore, changing status in a GitLab issue will be reflected in Forecast, and vice versa.
Phases are also reflected in both and moving tasks between phases will result in updating those phases on both platforms.
New tasks/issues are also synchronized, as well as assigning people to tasks/issues. Finally, time estimates and the descriptions on tasks/issues are also synced between the two platforms.
This should help you manage everything from both, and avoid having to do additional work on both platforms.
Setting up the Gitlab integration
Setting up the Gitlab integration is easy but can only be done by someone with an admin permission level. To set up the integration, follow the steps below:
To set up the Gitlab for Forecast integration
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen from anywhere on the platform.
- Click on Admin. This will take you to the Admin panel.
- While on the Admin panel click on the Integrations tab.
- Click on the Gitlab integration icon.
- Click Activate.
- Sign in, accept and authorize the connection.
- Now you should automatically return to Forecast and the setup is complete.
Syncing user profiles
For resources to be linked across the two platforms, it is necessary to link the user profiles between the two integrations. The steps below go over this process:
To sync users between Forecast and Gitlab
- Click on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner of Forecast.
- Click on Admin to be taken to the Admin panel.
- From the Admin Panel click on Resources
- Click on the name of a team member. This will take you to their profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom until you come across the section that reads GitLab.com.
- In the search bar type and search for your own or your team members GitLab registered name and click on it.
- Click on Link to link the two accounts.
The profiles will now be synced. To confirm this head back to the resources page in the admin panel and check for the Gitlab logo and whether it appears at the end of the resources line. If it is there, then the profiles are synced successfully.
Syncing GitLab projects with Forecast Projects
Once all of the team members that are going to be using GitLab are synced successfully you are set to start using the integration with Forecast and link projects across the two platforms.
To link projects between Forecast and Gitlab
- Access any project by clicking on its ID or name from anywhere on the platform or from the Projects tab.
- From within the project, click on the three dots next to the Nova Insights tab.
- Click on Settings.
- From the Settings menu, click on the Integrations tab.
- Find the GitLab section.
- Find the project you wish to sync from the dropdown menu.
- Click Sync GitLab Project.
Now your issues should be visible in Workflow within a few seconds and any updates made on the issues will be reflected in Gitlab.
Article is closed for comments.