The project status of a project can be changed to indicate the progress of a project at any given point in time. This feature allows users to choose one out of three available statuses that help underline any blockers for the project.
This article includes:
Project status basics
Project status refers to the current state of a project in terms of its progress, timeline, budget, and other key metrics. It is an entirely customizable snapshot of where the project stands at a given point in time, and it is used by project managers to track the project's overall health and to identify areas where improvements may be needed.
Project status is a crucial aspect of project management as it helps project managers monitor progress, identify issues, and communicate effectively with stakeholders. By keeping track of the project status, project managers can make informed decisions and take action to ensure that the project is completed successfully.
Overview of the project statuses
Project managers are able to indicate the status of a project by making use of the available status types. There are three project status types in Forecast.
- On track: This means that the project is progressing as planned and is likely to be completed on time and within budget.
- At risk: This means that there are some issues or risks that could potentially impact the project's timeline or budget, but they can still be managed effectively.
- Off track: This usually indicates that the project is significantly behind due to reasons such as schedule, over budget, or facing major risks that threaten its successful completion.
Viewing and updating the project status
Reviewing and changing the project status is easy and can be done by anyone who is either a project owner or an Admin.
Viewing and managing the status of a project
The project status can be reviewed from the Projects page by everyone that is assigned to a project. Project owners and administrators can also update the project status from the Project settings.
To view the projects status
- Click on Projects from the top bar.
- Select All Projects from the dropdown.
- In card view, click on the Eye Icon and click on Status.
- In list view, hover over Project Basics and then select Status.
- The current project status will appear as a clickable button in the Status column.
- Click on the status type to open the status modal.
- To change the status, click on the new status type. Your selection is defined by a purple outline around the status.
- Add a description to explain why this is the new status of the project, if desired.
- Click on Update Status to finish updating the status of the project.